In response to comment by Jiro on Ethical Injunctions
Comment author: waveman 26 June 2016 03:10:21AM *  0 points [-]

That is true. Whether higher stakes* would give her more courage, I doubt, but it is possible.

( * It was not entirely clear until it was too late, if you look at the people who had nice things to say about Hitler early on. The number of people int he resistance during the war (as opposed to after the war, in retrospect) was not very high. I am not suggesting I would have been one of those who took arms against him).

Anthony Beevor's book Dresden has a good description of what happened to people who opposed Hitler.

Comment author: Jiro 25 June 2016 08:39:58PM 1 point [-]

The penalty for telling the truth about the state of your project is less than the penalty for defying Hitler, but the good done by telling the truth about the state of your project is also less than the good done by defying Hitler.

Comment author: TheAncientGeek 25 June 2016 10:23:24AM 1 point [-]

I think that was a metonym. Basically, don't prudently predate.

Comment author: waveman 25 June 2016 07:13:11AM 0 points [-]

It's easy to talk now about it, harder if you actually lived in Germany at that time and had to really fear the SS.

Indeed. I remember an IT project manager telling me the German people should have stood up to Hitler and stopped him. I pointed out that she was not even prepared to tell her manager the truth about the state of her project (running later than advertised of course).

All she had at stake was the size of her end of year bonus.

I remember reading about a man who voted against Hitler in the referendum to make him dictator. He was severely beaten, his house was burned down, and he wife and daughter were gang-raped.

Comment author: Chriswaterguy 24 June 2016 01:12:05PM 3 points [-]

Libertarianism secretly relies on most individuals being prosocial enough to tip at a restaurant they won't ever visit again.

I'm puzzled that you gave that specific example, given that it's obviously wrong. Most countries do not have a culture of tipping, and their economies don't implode. They just have less headaches at bill time. And in many cases (a long way from libertarianism) their wait staff get paid a living wage.

I'm also not sure what it means for libertarianism to rely on something, since libertarianism is not an actual functioning thing in existence. But if it did exist and function, it would not rely on tipping.

Comment author: Good_Burning_Plastic 23 June 2016 03:42:50PM 3 points [-]

Necro-commenting isn't usually frowned upon around here.

Comment author: Lumifer 23 June 2016 02:27:53PM 1 point [-]

the past was always accessible, through books and stories and so on.

I don't know if that's right. The past was always accessible to some degree, but never before as an overwhelming exhaustive array of minutiae. It's precisely because of that level of detail that this past looks so much like the present.

Comment author: ChristianKl 23 June 2016 01:58:33PM 0 points [-]

If you have an extension that sends false responses the spammers will have an incentive to avoid messageing those email addresses.

Comment author: Vaniver 23 June 2016 11:03:52AM 2 points [-]

An interesting claim I came across recently is that most people view the Internet as opening up the past, but that isn't quite right--the past was always accessible, through books and stories and so on. What the internet does that is strange is extend the present into the past, so that content created in 2001 or 2012 or so on can be indistinguishable from content created in 2016, if the formatting, context, or dynamics are the same.

That is, one doesn't expect Jane Austen to return any fan letters, but sometimes when you respond to a four-year old comment, you get a response within a day.

Comment author: JustinMElms 22 June 2016 09:54:35PM 3 points [-]

That's ridiculous: whenever I want to comment, I always observe that I am reading 4-year-old arguments and keep on scrolling.

Comment author: rhaps0dy 21 June 2016 07:55:39AM 0 points [-]

This is what I thought. But ChristianKl is right: it doesn't need to. From the first false positive you're already doing damage with almost no cost to you. Sure your address will start to receive more spam, but it will be filtered like the spam you already have is.

But having it in the ISP, or as a really popular extension, would deal a big blow to spam.

In response to comment by GodParty on Welcome to Heaven
Comment author: hairyfigment 20 June 2016 05:54:18PM 1 point [-]

Yes, but for example in highway hypnosis people drive on 'boring' stretches of highway and then don't remember doing so. It seems as if they slowly lose the capacity to learn or update beliefs even slightly from this repetitive activity, and as this happens their sentience goes away. So we haven't established that the sentient ball of uniform ecstasy is actually possible.

Meanwhile, a badly programmed AI might decide that a non-sentient or briefly-sentient ball still fits its programmed definition of the goal. Or it might think this about a ball that is just barely sentient.

Comment author: hairyfigment 20 June 2016 05:38:09PM 1 point [-]

While that sounds clever at first glance:

• We're not actually assuming a time-traveling Omega.

• Even if we were, he would just not choose you for the game. You'd get $0, which is worse than causal decision theory.

In response to comment by Tiiba on Welcome to Heaven
Comment author: GodParty 20 June 2016 12:20:26AM 0 points [-]

Sentience is exactly just the ability to feel. If it can feel joy, it is sentient.

Comment author: ChristianKl 19 June 2016 11:53:55AM 0 points [-]

True, but high school curricula have changed very little in the last four decades.

Most of the high school curricula is about subjects where the knowledge base that's supposed to be communicated didn't change much in the last 4 decades.

But look at math. 4 decades ago students where taught how to use slide rulers. There was no Core math four decades ago.

Comment author: sh4dow 19 June 2016 12:30:31AM 1 point [-]

I would play lotto: if I win more than 10M$, I take the black box and leave. Otherwise I'd look in the black box: if it is full, I also take the small one. If not, I leave with just the empty black box. As this should be inconsistent, assuming a time traveling Omega, it would either make him not choose me for his experiment or let me win for sure (assuming time works in similar ways as in HPMOR). If I get nothing, it would prove the Omega wrong (and tell me quite a bit about how the Omega (and time) works). If his prediction was correct though, I win 11.000.000$, which is way better than either 'standard' variant.

Comment author: Jayson_Virissimo 18 June 2016 10:06:34PM 0 points [-]

Comment author: ChristianKl 18 June 2016 10:17:41AM 0 points [-]

It took a long time to create but it's nearly 4 decades old. A lot has happened since then.

Comment author: Regex 18 June 2016 02:55:22AM *  1 point [-]

I agree. Nowhere else are we likely to get something optimized for that especially since it took nearly a decade to create.

Comment author: ChristianKl 17 June 2016 06:34:57PM 1 point [-]

Thinking Fast and Slow isn't about how to teach high school students. The curriculum might have ideas about how to go about that.

View more: Next