Comment author: Allison_Simon 14 April 2017 07:13:01AM *  0 points [-]

The key here was in applying Bayes, not in being especially calibrated. http://bulletforcegame.com/

Comment author: g_pepper 14 April 2017 02:07:39AM 1 point [-]

Great list of 20th century compositions! 20th century art music gets an undeservedly bad rap, IMO. I would add a few more composers:

• 1930: Kurt Weill: Aufstieg und Fall der Stadt Mahagonny
  • 1935: George Gershwin: Porgy and Bess
  • 1940-1941: Olivier Messiaen: Quatuor pour la fin du temps
  • 1944: Aaron Copeland: Appalachian Spring

Kurt Weill's work might be considered theater music rather than art music, but I would argue that it is both of those things. Messiaen is admittedly avant garde and a bit outside of the mainstream, but is approachable by a wide range of audiences, including many who would not care for the composers of the Second Viennese School. Many of Messiaen's compositions could have been added to the list, so I picked one of the best known.

Comment author: gjm 13 April 2017 10:31:38PM 3 points [-]

mid-20th century art music [...] tone poems and dissonant musics [...] were just garbage

wat?

Here are a few pieces of mid-20th century art music. I'm taking "mid-20th-century" to mean 1930 to 1970. Some of them are quite dissonant. None of them is actually a tone poem, as it happens. They are all pieces that (1) I like, (2) are well regarded by the classical music "establishment", (3) are pretty accessible even to (serious) listeners of fairly conservative taste, (4) are still being performed, recorded, etc., (5) are clearly part of the mainstream of mid-20th-century art music, and (6) seem to me to show no lack of awareness of what music is for.

• 1930: Stravinsky, Symphony of Psalms
  • 1936: Barber, Adagio for strings
  • 1941: Tippett, A child of our time
  • 1942: Prokofiev, Piano sonata #7
  • 1945: Britten, Peter Grimes
  • 1948: Strauss, Four last songs
  • 1960: Shostakovich: String quartets #7,8
  • 1965: Bernstein, Chichester Psalms

(I make no claim that these are the best or most important works by their composers. I wanted things reasonably well spread out over the period in question, and subject to that picked fairly randomly.)

Are these all garbage? Perhaps you had in mind only music "weirder" than those: Second Viennese School twelve-tone music (though I'd call that early rather than mid 20th century), Cage-style experimentalism, and so forth. I'm not at all convinced that that stuff had no value or influence, but in any case it's far from all that was happening in western art music in the middle of the 20th century.

Comment author: gjm 13 April 2017 10:02:52PM *  0 points [-]

hundreds or thousands of years ago

reinventing logical positivism

Logical positivism isn't even one hundred years old yet.

Comment author: gjm 13 April 2017 10:00:21PM *  0 points [-]

Making explicit something implicit in Lumifer's comment: children move a lot and image stabilization won't do anything about that[1], so with an image-stabilized camera (and perhaps even without) the only way to avoid motion blur is to reduce the exposure time. This in turn requires you to get more photons to the sensor per unit time, which requires a physically larger camera. Smartphone cameras are incredibly impressive these days given the constraints they work under, but a good "real" camera can take in a whole lot more light than the camera in any phone, which will mean shorter exposures and hence sharper kid pictures.

[1] Though, hmm, I wonder whether it would be possible to make a camera that identifies subjects and how they're moving -- this is already done for autofocus -- and then uses the image stabilization machinery to keep the subject as motionless as possible in the image. That would be startling but isn't obviously impossible. (If the subject moves too much, obviously it's hopeless.)

[EDITED to add: For the avoidance of doubt, I am 100% confident that Lumifer already knows all that, with the possible exception of the idea in the footnote, and 95% confident that you understood it all from what he said; this is for the sake of that last 5%.]

[EDITED again to add:] Pretty sure the idea in the footnote isn't really workable. Autofocus tracks subject movement between photos. This would require watching within a single image capture, which implies either taking lots of short-exposure shots instead of a single longer one (implying more readout noise) or else having a separate sensor used only for this (but unless a lot of the light is getting diverted to that separate sensor it's going to be seeing super-noisy images which can't be good for its ability to track subjects). Also, this seems quite expensive computationally.

Comment author: Raemon 13 April 2017 05:11:54PM 1 point [-]

I'm totes aware of the irony here, and have thought about alternate names but not really came up with anything that

a) communicates the particular combination of things I'm going for here b) is memorable and curiosity inducing

(I do plan to eventually port this whole thing over to the EA community in a fashion that's more respectable looking. If you have suggestions for a good alternate name, lemme know)

Comment author: Lumifer 13 April 2017 04:35:51PM 1 point [-]

Any quick examples before the long-form essay?

Comment author: Kisil 13 April 2017 03:38:15PM 1 point [-]

2a here seems like a major issue to me. I've had an essay brewing for a couple of months, about how the range of behaviors we tolerate affects who is willing to join the community. It's much easier to see the people who join than the people who are pushed away.

I argue that the way we are currently inclusive goes beyond being a safe space for weirdness, and extends into being anti-normal in a way that frightens off anyone who already has strong mainstream social skills. And that we can and should encourage social skill development while remaining a safe space.

If there's interest, I'll finish writing the longer-form argument.

Comment author: Lumifer 13 April 2017 02:45:51PM 1 point [-]

paths to success have been distorted by psychopaths

At which point in time and in which societies the paths were NOT "distorted"? When and where was the Golden Pre-Psychopath Age?

Comment author: AlexD 13 April 2017 03:02:30AM 0 points [-]

In the spirit of avoiding unnecessary weirdness, do you really want to cloak this project in a name assuming familiarity with specific literature? (And I get that HPMOR is cool, but it's niche, and HP* is for kids.)

In response to Belief in Belief
Comment author: PhilGoetz 13 April 2017 01:32:49AM *  0 points [-]

The rationalist virtue of empiricism...

I'm not disagreeing with any of the content above, but a note about terminology--

LessWrong keeps using the word "rationalism" to mean something like "reason" or possibly even "scientific methodology". In philosophy, however, "rationalism" is not allied to "empiricism", but diametrically opposed to it. What we call science was a gradual development, over a few centuries, of methodologies that harnessed the powers both of rationalism and empiricism, which had previously been thought to be incompatible.

But if you talk to a modernist or post-modernist today, when they use the term "rational", they mean old-school Greek, Platonic-Aristotelian rationalism. They, like us, think so much in this old Greek way that they may use the term "reason" when they mean "Aristotelian logic". All post-modernism is based on the assumption that scientific methodology is essentially the combination of Platonic essences, Aristotelian physics, and Aristotelian logic, which is rationalism. They are completely ignorant of what science is and how it works. But this is partly our fault, because they hear us talking about science and using the term "rationality" as if science were rationalism!

(Inb4 somebody says Plato was a rationalist and Aristotle was an empiricist: Really, really not. Aristotle couldn't measure things, and very likely couldn't do arithmetic. In any case the most important Aristotelian writings to post-modernists are the Physics, which aren't empirical in the slightest. No time to go into it here, though.)

Comment author: ialdabaoth 13 April 2017 12:33:34AM 0 points [-]

Yes, although I'd say it slightly more strongly: the paths to success have been distorted by psychopaths - and by our outright worship of them - into requiring one to express psychopathic traits in order to succeed, so much so that society's various commons are - in general - being drained more quickly than they're being replenished. Moreso, most of these so-called "successful" traits aren't even seen as psychopathic anymore; they're seen as "alluringly confident" or whatever.

Comment author: FourFire 12 April 2017 10:07:56PM *  1 point [-]

My steelmanning of Ialdaboath's claim isn't that it is impossible to succeed without being a psychopath. (Though I would definitely agree that his perspective is rather dreary and pessimistic) It is that the paths to success in society have been distorted by psychopaths into requiring one to express psychopathic traits in order to succeed a lot more of the time than would be the case in absence of psychopaths within the ruling elite.

In response to comment by fblogin on Timeless Identity
Comment author: Lumifer 12 April 2017 03:10:17PM 0 points [-]

SPAMMITY SPAM SPAM

Comment author: Maxlove 12 April 2017 02:34:19PM *  0 points [-]

I discovered LessWrong maybe one or two years ago after reading about it on RationalWiki after searching online for a community of autodidacts (a Quora user recommended this place), and after googling Alfred Korzybski's phrase 'the map is not the territory'. I've been reading LessWrong intensively since I read my first page and first article. I thought I had developed a unique mindset, but was impressed to see that this community had discovered a lot of the same ideas and so many more. I left high school specifically so I could make sense of everything and figure what I should do if there's anything I should do. I now intend to take an online adult high school advanced functions course so I may study computer science in university. Besides computer science, I want to study neuroscience. I want to be a malware analyst and a neuroscientist. (Maybe one day I will work as a sort of sci-fi brain malware exorcist :P) But my actual skills lie in a formal understanding of persuasion, disagreement resolution, rhetoric, dialectics, communication, justification theory, and philosophy of argument. There should be an umbrella term for all this stuff; they are all closely related conceptually.

Other notable characteristics:

• I also have a deep appreciation for worldbuilding, symbolism, personality psychology (which I have some serious opinions about), and cellular automata.

• I made my own Game of Life ruleset using Golly.

• I'd tell of my Big 5 and MBTI results but I hate those models. So instead, I'll tell just tell you that I'm argumentative but diplomatic and gently critical. I am bursting with self-esteem. I am enthusiastic because there is no excuse to permanently giving up and not because it will be easy to safely achieve perfection. I am always stressing the importance of consequentialism and always defending deontological-seeming choices on consequentialist grounds, just as any consequence-concerned consequentialist-identifier would. I have no idea what Hogwarts house I belong to.

• I use all the major cultural hubs of the web, the most popular sites on which one may socialize, and those sites which are especially facilitative of internet friendships

• I have internet friends of multitudinous backgrounds and persuasions and I would welcome more

• I love going on long walks, in the day and in the night. My longest was ten hours! The empty suburban streets of the night can induce reflection and feelings of liberation like few other things can. I've had this habit since I was just 14.

• I am compiling insights on task and resource management, aka insights on beating akrasia.

• Ray Kurzweil saved me from suicide. I'm no longer as optimistic about the future as when I started reading his stuff, but I see there is a life-worthy chance for humanity to get better.

• I would rather have many friends who are supposed to be my enemies than many enemies who are supposed to be my friends.

• The bullet point immediately above this one is also my motto.

Comment author: themusicgod1 12 April 2017 01:03:10PM 0 points [-]

The parent made 3 claims(the 3rd one was snuck into the conclusion). I only addressed 2 and 3. 1 is a credible point that stands on its own merit. Without points 2 and 3 however with 1 it's no longer a sound argument.

Comment author: ChristianKl 11 April 2017 11:21:44AM 2 points [-]

Having deep long-term relationships is useful in Western society to gather power. Committing to a realistic long-term vision and working towards it is also useful for success.

Clinical sociopaths have trouble with both.

Comment author: ChristianKl 11 April 2017 11:10:17AM 0 points [-]

For example, there are people who are too shy to speak, and hate to compete for attention, so at a LW meetup they would just sit in the corner and quietly listen. These people don't harm anyone else, only perhaps themselves.

There's no big harm but a person who sits in the corner can still influence the overall atmosphere of a meetup in a way that's not pleasant.

Comment author: ChristianKl 11 April 2017 11:10:12AM 1 point [-]

The first person that came to my mind was a shy insecure guy at a meetup with very strong body odor where nobody wanted to be near him because of the body odor.

Comment author: ChristianKl 11 April 2017 11:01:01AM 0 points [-]

Okay, moocher works well.

View more: Prev | Next