Comment author: Vaniver 27 September 2017 09:55:25PM *  2 points [-]

Late May, if I recall correctly. We'll be able to merge accounts if you made it more recently or there was some trouble with the import.

Comment author: trickster 27 September 2017 09:33:53AM 0 points [-]

I think that this has deal with boundeed rationality. Perfect knowledge required endless ammount of time- and all human have only limited lifetime. So, ammount of time for each dessision limited even more. Therefore we can not explore all argument. And I think - it would be a good strategy to throw away some arguments right in the begining and don't waste time on them. Instead you can pay more attention to more plausible one. And this give you a opportunity to build a relatively accurate model of the world in relativly short time. If you not agree- consider this argument. How you can argue against communism if you don't read all the works of Marx/Engels/Lenin/Mao/Trotskiy/Rosa Luxemburg/Bucharin/Zinovev/Stalin/Kautskiy/Sen-Simon....And so on- liste can be endless. I think that such arguments are actually used as a demand that you must slavishly agree with persone who said this. Clearly, this unacceptable and we have right don't agree even if we doesn't read all this volumes- using only limited ammount of data that we already posses. So. if we throw away some idea after first glance- stupidity of followers is not a worst criteria for doing this

In response to 9/26 is Petrov Day
Comment author: ahiskali 26 September 2017 03:20:30PM 2 points [-]

Stanislav Yevgrafovich died 4 month ago, here's NPR article. I wish I knew that he lived near me a little bit sooner.

Comment author: tanagrabeast 26 September 2017 05:52:57AM *  3 points [-]

Even a site's use of a font I don't recognize I provokes that reaction in me.

Speaking of font difficulty, the new font doesn't render well on my desktop (Windows 10, Chrome, default font/size, 1680x1050). It comes out looking poorly aliased, or maybe just not fully black. I compare to another serif-heavy site like nytimes and the latter just seems so much darker and crisper, even at similar sizes.

On my older MacBook Air the LW font is not as ugly, though it still seems less than fully black.

Comment author: Capla 26 September 2017 04:23:06AM 0 points [-]

This is a brilliant essay. One of the best in the sequences, I think.

Comment author: TimS 25 September 2017 11:22:18PM 2 points [-]

He does have influence, but I don't read that as saying things are as bad as they were in the 1950s. He's pointing out that a lot of the power structure of the Confederacy is still around, to the point that imagining if the Confederates had won is less different from now than many folks ignorant of history believe.

Ta-Nehisi has written very pointedly about DT's victory, but even then I don't read him as saying things are the same as 50 years ago. Factually, I don't see how anyone could claim that. Leading protest in 1950-1960s was literally life threatening. Blessedly, that doesn't seem to be true in the present.

In response to comment by tut on LW 2.0 Open Beta Live
Comment author: rhollerith_dot_com 25 September 2017 01:23:22AM *  11 points [-]

I can corroborate that the scrolling is painful on sufficiently old hardware (and two of the not-home not-work places I most like to hang out in these days have hardware that is sufficiently old).

Scrolling for example is painful near the bottom (in the comments) of the recent article on the Cambrian explosion on a Core 2 Duo running Windows Vista, in Chrome. In particular, it takes whole seconds for the text to appear. (Till then the view port is blank / white.)

But even when I'm using reasonably fast hardware, my reaction to any signs that the text on a web page is not being produced "the old fashioned way" (and the new site certainly has such signs) is to ask myself if I really need to continue using the site.

Even a site's use of a font I don't recognize I provokes that reaction in me.

Why? Well, it is a sign that I will run into further irritants. Some actions will work slightly differently from the way I am used to with the result that I have to stop concentrating on the reason I came onto the web site to figure out scrolling or searching in the page or making sure the right pane on the screen has "keyboard focus" or how to change the size of the text. Or I will have to figure out how to undo the effects of some action I took accidentally.

If you're reading this and cannot relate, then maybe that is because I have cataracts, so a large text size is more important to me than it is to you. Or maybe it is because I have a 57-year-old brain and some chronic health issues so that it is harder for me to retain what is in my working memory when things jump around on a page in ways that my brain cannot predict.

Or maybe it is because I prefer the kinesthetic sensory modality which makes me care more about subtleties in the computer's response to various "attempted manipulations" (e.g., attempting to scroll or to use the pointing device to select an extent of text) of the web page.

The new LW site is not doing anything that many many other web sites are not also doing, so this is a comment about modern web sites more than it is a comment about the new version of LW.

I realize that this comment is rough on the creators of the next version of LW since it is negative feedback, but not actionable negative feedback (since they've already implemented a particular design). I considered refraining from publishing it, but went ahead because writing this comment, then observing how many points it ends up with is by far the easiest way for me to find out how many LWers share my frustrations (and knowing that is even more useful to me than knowing how many in the general population of internet users share my frustrations). I won't make a habit of complaining about it.

Comment author: kgalias 24 September 2017 07:25:44PM 1 point [-]

When was the last data migration from LW 1.0? I'm getting an "Invalid email" message, even though I have a linked email here.

Comment author: Good_Burning_Plastic 24 September 2017 12:37:40PM 0 points [-]

OTOH "venusian" sounds like it's about the planet.

Comment author: Good_Burning_Plastic 24 September 2017 12:28:53PM *  0 points [-]

to the extent that 'paternalism' implies 'when done by males' I would perhaps want to use a different word

"Parentalism"?

(And "maternalism" when done by females? ;-))

Comment author: Good_Burning_Plastic 24 September 2017 11:14:23AM 0 points [-]

You won't get approached by women just for looking good

Speak for yourself! :-)

In response to comment by gjm on LW 2.0 Open Beta Live
Comment author: Benito 23 September 2017 05:38:14AM 0 points [-]

Intercom is most useful for bugs, because we can quickly back-and-forth with you about the specifics of your operating system/browser and other stuff. If it's a feature request / some general feedback either works; maybe slightly err on posting in the 'impressions' thread for common knowledge.

Comment author: Benito 23 September 2017 05:36:37AM 1 point [-]

Not yet - one great person already turned it into a kindle (mobie) book though.

Comment author: Elo 22 September 2017 08:58:12PM 1 point [-]

Is there a comment rss?

Comment author: username2 22 September 2017 08:36:08PM 0 points [-]

Is there a pdf version available for The Codex as it appears on lesserwrong ? I see it's different from the Library of Alexandria.

Comment author: Jiro 22 September 2017 08:29:39PM 1 point [-]

I am unable to use this open beta because of the problem I describe here.

In response to comment by Rain on LW 2.0 Open Beta Live
Comment author: Vaniver 22 September 2017 06:36:40PM 1 point [-]

https://www.lesserwrong.com/feed.xml is the primary one; more customization is coming soon.

Comment author: Rain 22 September 2017 02:27:13PM 3 points [-]

Any RSS feeds?

Comment author: gjm 22 September 2017 12:06:40PM *  0 points [-]

Do you want comments on the Lesser Wrong experience only via Intercom, or here as well?

[EDITED to add:] I see there's a "first impressions" thread over on Lesser Wrong, so I've ended up using that in preference to either of the other options.

Comment author: entirelyuseless 22 September 2017 11:51:29AM 0 points [-]

"what others do with knowledge is their business."

Rather, they think it is, but they're wrong.

View more: Prev | Next