Less Wrong is a community blog devoted to refining the art of human rationality. Please visit our About page for more information.

Furcas comments on Eutopia is Scary - Less Wrong

33 Post author: Eliezer_Yudkowsky 12 January 2009 05:28AM

You are viewing a comment permalink. View the original post to see all comments and the full post content.

Comments (121)

Sort By: Old

You are viewing a single comment's thread.

Comment author: Furcas 12 January 2009 06:49:53PM 2 points [-]

Please publish this stuff! Or upload it as a free netbook if you're not feeling confident, haha.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Humans don't go insane that easily. I know two people who have the kind of beliefs that stand in absolute opposition to the Singularity, to the point that they've told me they would rather die a slow painful death rather than live in a post-Singularity world, and I don't think they're lying. Even so, me telling them about the Singularity didn't drive them insane. I've gotten them both to acknowledge that such a world is a possibility, and while this hasn't lessened their profound disgust, it certainly hasn't made them nuts.

Anyway, you think that creating this imaginary world of yours has been a valuable experience for you, don't you? So why wouldn't reading about it be a valuable experience for the rest of us? Even if 5% of us go insane as a result, isn't it worth it the other 95% is enlightened?