Sunday May 29, 5:00PM

TX/RX Hackerspace

2010 Commerce St

Houston, TX 77002

Another meeting at the TX/RX hackerspace will happen on Sunday, May 29th at 5PM. Since we had no attendance last week,it will again be a meet and greet and planning for future activities. Pizza can and will be ordered if people show up.

I understand many of the people who have expressed interest in a Houston meet up find this to be an inconvenient time. Unfortunately, my Saturday and early Sunday have been consumed by other plans this week. If this is a bad time for you, I plan to have a meetup the Saturday after next in the early afternoon. If that is usually more convenient for you, let me know, and I can decide how to structure future scheduling.

Directions

A pictoral view

Front

This is the set of buildings that the hackerspace is in. It's difficult to see our front from this angle - unfortunately google maps decided to map everything but our little section of commerce street. It's near where the white truck and red motorcycle are. Currently, there is an old military vehicle and generator in front.

Empy Lot

And this is the empty lot that you can park in .

For more reference:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=2010+Commerce+St.+Houston,+Tx+77002&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8640bed8ed95625d:0x4c9af214d2032035,2010+Commerce+St,+Houston,+TX+77002&gl=us&ei=C9LRTYHvE8fL0QGu8OjlCw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBkQ8gEwAA

New Comment
11 comments, sorted by Click to highlight new comments since: Today at 1:59 PM

When is the next Houston meetup?

I'll plan on showing up. Should be interesting, I've never been to a hackerspace before.

Thanks for coming out.

Might be able to make this one since I'll have Monday off. Logistic issues because I'll be brining my cats to my parents in Austin which might keep me from making a direct Houston-Austin return trip.

Btw, is there a link that explains what this group does? Would my Bitcoin rig be relevant to show off?

[-][anonymous]13y00

Revised: 96 blades in the hackerspace right now, another 500ish in storage.

Yes it would your bitcoin rig is worth showing off, I am interested if nothing else. On the other hand it might be a pain to bring down and you would not be able to leave it running at the same time. So pictures, plans, specs, would all be great.

I have the journey very well documented in pictures, so I think I'll just bring those on a flash drive and hope I have some way to show them off. (I can bring my netbook, but let's be honest, it's a piece of crap.)

Sounds good, have larger screens and the projector should be working as well.

[-]Cog13y00

If you can come, we'll be happy to have you.

As for what our group does, if you mean the Hackerspace, the website is at :

http://www.txrxlabs.org/

If you mean the Less Wrong group, then we do not have a specific goal as of yet. I was hoping to meet people and get a feel for what lesswrongians might want to do. I would like to do a reading group, possibly with Jaynes' "Probability Theory: The Logic of Science", or Pearle's "Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent systems". I'd also like to do a basic self help thing akin to the New York group. Davorak and I have tossed around other ideas:

Paranoid debating MIT course in street fighting mathematics Stanford course on the biological basis of behavior Board games

Your bitcoin rig would definitely be interesting. We have a 96 Blade computational cluster (mostly working), and have been looking for something to stress it - BitCoin has been tossed around a lot. It certainly would be interesting. We're not sure if we could operate it profitably, but someone who has had experience with it would definitely have people listening.

Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to coming down tomorrow. Is there a point of contact I can call if I get lost or something? (PM me if necessary.)

[-]Cog13y00

Revised: 96 Blades in the hackerspace right now, another 500ish in storage.