Less Wrong is a community blog devoted to refining the art of human rationality. Please visit our About page for more information.

danieldewey comments on AGI-2011 conference videos - Less Wrong Discussion

9 Post author: Dr_Manhattan 22 September 2011 06:55PM

You are viewing a comment permalink. View the original post to see all comments and the full post content.

Comments (11)

You are viewing a single comment's thread.

Comment author: danieldewey 22 September 2011 09:25:56PM 4 points [-]

I especially enjoyed the talk about Probabilistic Programs.

Comment author: arundelo 24 September 2011 03:47:01AM 1 point [-]

Off-topic tidbit: He (like Eliezer) pronounces "Bayesian" to rhyme with "Asian". He does a similar thing with with "Gaussian", pronouncing it "GOW-shan" (0:45:33).

It seems like the more common pronunciations are "BAY-zee-an" and "GOW-see-an" (that is, name + "ian"), but I'm basing that on a small sample size.

Comment author: wedrifid 24 September 2011 09:34:52AM 1 point [-]

Name + "ian" as the alternative to rhyming with Asian strikes me as a somewhat limited illustration.

Comment author: arundelo 24 September 2011 05:59:37PM 2 points [-]

The end of "Asian" does not sound like "ian", and "Asian" does not have a "z" sound in it like "Bayes" does.

IPA to the rescue!

"Bayes" is pronounced /beɪz/. I pronounce "Bayesian" /ˈbeɪziən/. Noah Goodman and Eliezer pronounce it /ˈbeɪʒən/. The Random House unabridged dictionary (1993) gives both pronunciations (and the OED does not have "Bayes" or "Bayesian" entries).

"Gauss" is pronounced /gaʊs/. I pronounce "Gaussian" /ˈgaʊsiən/. Noah Goodman pronounces it /ˈgaʊʃən/. The Random House unabridged and the OED (1989) give only /ˈgaʊsiən/.

Comment author: wedrifid 24 September 2011 06:23:45PM 0 points [-]

The end of "Asian" does not sound like "ian"

No, it doesn't, does it? I wonder if that is at all related to my point.

Comment author: arundelo 24 September 2011 06:35:14PM 0 points [-]

Was I correct in taking your point to be that the great-great-grandparent comment was not as clear as it could have been?

Comment author: wedrifid 24 September 2011 06:54:33PM 0 points [-]

Well, not exactly. I was more going for "that's a good point but also a little ironic, heh!"

;)

Comment author: lessdazed 23 September 2011 02:52:40AM 0 points [-]

This was the first one I watched - it is the reason I got hooked to watch the others. I highly recommend this video.