Less Wrong is a community blog devoted to refining the art of human rationality. Please visit our About page for more information.

insufferablejake comments on Open thread, February 15-28, 2013 - Less Wrong Discussion

5 Post author: David_Gerard 15 February 2013 11:17PM

You are viewing a comment permalink. View the original post to see all comments and the full post content.

Comments (345)

You are viewing a single comment's thread. Show more comments above.

Comment author: gwern 20 February 2013 10:07:52PM 7 points [-]

It's been suggested to me that since I don't blog, I start an email newsletter. I ignored the initial suggestions, but following the old maxim* began to seriously consider it on the third or fourth suggestion (who also mentioned they'd even pay for it, which would be helpful for my money woes).

My basic idea is to once a month compile: everything I've shared on Google+, articles excerpted in Evernote or on IRC, interesting LW comments**, and a consolidated version of the changes I've made to gwern.net that month. Possibly also include media I've consumed with reviews for books, anime, music etc akin to the media thread.

I am interested in whether LWers would subscribe:

If I made it a monthly subscription, what does your willingness-to-pay look like? (Please be serious and think about what you would actually do.)

Thanks to everyone voting.

* "Once is chance; twice is coincidence; three times is enemy action." Or in Star Wars terms: "If someone calls you a Hutt, ignore them; if two people call you a Hutt, begin to wonder; and if three do, buy a slobber-pail and start stockpiling glitterstim."

** For example, my recent comments on the SAT (Harvard logistic regression & shrinking to the mean) would count as 'interesting comments', but not the Evangelion joke.

Submitting...

Comment author: insufferablejake 21 February 2013 07:29:11AM 0 points [-]

I enjoy your posts, and I have been a consumer of your G+ posts and your blog for sometime now, even though I don't much comment and just lurk about. While I would want some sort of syndication of your stuff, I am wondering if an external expectation of having to meet the monthly compilation target or the fact that you know for sure that there is a definite large audience for your posts now, will affect the quality of your posts? I realize that there is likely not any answer possible for this beforehand, but I'd like to know if you've considered this.

Comment author: gwern 21 February 2013 04:00:41PM 0 points [-]

I don't know. I'm more concerned that reviewing & compiling everything at the end of the month will prove to be too much of a stressful hassle or use of time than that I'll water down content.