Less Wrong is a community blog devoted to refining the art of human rationality. Please visit our About page for more information.

capybaralet comments on Yoshua Bengio on AI progress, hype and risks - Less Wrong Discussion

7 Post author: V_V 30 January 2016 01:45AM

You are viewing a comment permalink. View the original post to see all comments and the full post content.

Comments (8)

You are viewing a single comment's thread.

Comment author: capybaralet 07 April 2016 05:52:00PM 4 points [-]

Comparing with articles from a year ago, e.g. http://www.popsci.com/bill-gates-fears-ai-ai-researchers-know-better, this represents significant progress.

I'm a PhD student in Yoshua's lab. I've spoken with him about this issue several times, and he has moved on this issue, as have Yann and Andrew. From my perspective following this issue, there was tremendous progress in the ML community's attitude towards Xrisk.

I'm quite optimistic that such progress with continue, although pessimistic that it will be fast enough and that the ML community's attitude will be anything like sufficient for a positive outcome.

Comment author: satt 16 January 2017 02:08:30AM 0 points [-]

I'm a PhD student in Yoshua's lab. I've spoken with him about this issue several times, and he has moved on this issue,

Thank you!

Comment author: The_Jaded_One 12 January 2017 09:55:23AM 0 points [-]

Underrated comment of the thread!