This is the monthly thread for posting media of various types that you've found that you enjoy. Post what you're reading, listening to, watching, and your opinion of it. Post recommendations to blogs. Post whatever media you feel like discussing! To see previous recommendations, check out the older threads.

Rules:

• Please avoid downvoting recommendations just because you don't personally like the recommended material; remember that liking is a two-place word. If you can point out a specific flaw in a person's recommendation, consider posting a comment to that effect.
  • If you want to post something that (you know) has been recommended before, but have another recommendation to add, please link to the original, so that the reader has both recommendations.
  • Please post only under one of the already created subthreads, and never directly under the parent media thread.
  • Use the "Other Media" thread if you believe the piece of media you want to discuss doesn't fit under any of the established categories.
  • Use the "Meta" thread if you want to discuss about the monthly media thread itself (e.g. to propose adding/removing/splitting/merging subthreads, or to discuss the type of content properly belonging to each subthread) or for any other question or issue you may have about the thread or the rules.
New Comment
29 comments, sorted by Click to highlight new comments since: Today at 12:53 AM

Short Online Texts Thread

Everything is heritable:

Politics/religion:

AI:

Statistics/meta-science:

Psychology/biology:

Online Videos Thread

Fanfiction Thread

Fiction Books Thread

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is available now. I devoured the script in four hours and I will only say: it's powerful and beautiful.

I'm halfway through Italo Calvino's Cosmicomics. They're science-based creation myths, and they're breathtaking.

TV and Movies (Animation) Thread

• Zero Escape 3 - Zero Time Dilemma (video game with positive review on LW and ANN I instead watched a YouTube 100% walkthrough of, skipping the room-escape puzzles. I watched the first few such puzzles but found them rather tedious-looking, so that's definitely a reason to prefer watching Zero Time Dilemma to playing it. This way, ZTD can be considered a very low-budget anime done using 3D CGI lasting perhaps 10 hours. The CGI itself is... not great, by any means, but one understands what's going on, and it's not quite as tedious as reading a visual novel like Umineko even if Umineko had much better 2D artwork. That leaves the story itself, which is ambitious SF, trying to work together time travel, parallel universes & shifting, the anthropic principle, the Prisoner's Dilemma, the Sleeping Beauty problem, and amnesia drugs, in the framework of people trapped in a bomb shelter by a psychopathic mastermind. The 'decisions' made in each game provide a garden of forking paths the player navigates between to explore the consequences of particular choices, trying to navigate to a good end, where good is relative to the consequences of other possible universes. Eventually the characters themselves start understanding the situation and start shifting as well. Most choices end in death, so the exponential increase doesn't get out of hand. Some of the plot twists are dramatic and surprised me - for example, the architecture twist surprised me because while I had wondered how they could all have access to the same exit elevator if they were sealed off, I never put the remaining pieces together. Probably I would've enjoyed it more if I had watched the previous games to get the backstory, but it was still a fun SF series. That said, I felt some of the story was half-baked and it did not work as well as Steins;gate: the characters do disappointingly little to work around the amnesia despite ample opportunity; I was surprised by the ending because although I had guessed Zero's motive long before, at the anthropic principle/dice game, some of the events involving x-codes had seemed to specifically disconfirm it and the ultimate product seems kind of trivial compared to Zero's efforts to obtain it; the availability of both sliding and a space-time teleporter felt inelegant and the possibilities underused; the revelation of who Zero is was a complete asspull which - shades of Umineko - relies on a 'treachery of images' trick which simply doesn't work for both narrative & animation reasons, and worse, was unnecessary; and the narrative pacing is weak as the first part of the game spends what feels like an eternity on the repetitive starting Prisoner's dilemma game and then rushes through the rest.)
  • La Maison en Petits Cubes (a simple concept, similar to the later memory sequence in Pixar's Up, but like Up, effective)
  • Yurikuma Arashi (another peculiar Ikuhara production. It carries over much of his style in coloring and background and inscrutable symbolism from Revolutionary Girl Utena & Mawaru Penguindrum. YA is far more inscrutable through to episode 5, where finally enlightenment begins; then everything is explained to an extent unusual for Ikuhara. Stated baldly, his thesis of 'true love saving the world' is not nearly as interesting as the fancy garments he cloaks it in. Combined with the irritatingly flat characters, I suspect this may partially account for why YA was unsatisfying & unpopular.)

TV and Movies (Live Action) Thread

The (Dis)Honesty Project hopes to create a safe space where we can explore the complicated truth(s) of the matter and improve our own behavior and that of the world around us.

http://thedishonestyproject.com/

Games Thread

Stellaris - a 4X sci-fi game with interesting pro's and con's.

I especially like the very detailed race creation, with choices ranging from basic morphology to meta-ethics and government type. I also like that the game accounts for ethical drifting within your population, different models of FTL travel and malignant events such as UFAI fooming (called synth rebellion in the game).

However it's a young and complex production, and some of its strategic aspects are poorly balanced, read the negative Steam reviews for those, I've not played it enough and with the right focus to have an opinion on those.

As a pure sci-fi 4X, it's not the best: you will probably enjoy Endless Space or Beyond Earth much more.
But as a meta-civ simulator, I think it's amazing. I play Stellaris as if I'm playing a space version of Democracy 3: coming up with ludicrous empires and having fun evolving them in space, without much focus on winning.

I started Stellaris and regret it. I agree with many of the pros, but I find two extreamly annoying downsides. Firstly, even the fastest mode is quite slow, especially early on.

Secondly, there is a mechanism whereby if an empire is loosing a war, it surrenders; this would be reasonable except I had no idea this would happen, afaict there is no 'moral level' which would warn of a surrender, no way to negotiate a conditional surrender. Loose one minor outlying system and your entire empire surrenders.

Thirdly, it seems that 'hard difficulty' provides a 50% bonus to everything your opponents do, while normal difficulty provides no bonus. I suspect that hard difficulty is very hard, while normal will be quite easy. Adding a custom 'the AI gets an x% advantage' sounds like a very easy modification that would make the game far better.

Music Thread

Touhou:

Vocaloid:

Other Media Thread

Orion's arm: a far future, deeply transhumanist, hard sci-fi collective world building effort. LWers will find themselves immediately at home, and at every page you will find something interesting or surprising. Eliezer is explicitly quoted as a source for their mindspace diagram.
On me it exerts an attraction even stronger than tvtropes, so be warned!

There's a lot of Orion's Arm to wade through. Are there any sections you'd particularly recommend? Any stories or pages you enjoyed most?

Not at the moment, I'm wading through myself randomly following links in their wiki.
I suggest you just ask the forum to be honed on topics you're interested about.
I think I will contribute with ideas of my own, but I'll more likely ask the curators if they are new and where to place them.