This is the monthly thread for posting media of various types that you've found that you enjoy. Post what you're reading, listening to, watching, and your opinion of it. Post recommendations to blogs. Post whatever media you feel like discussing! To see previous recommendations, check out the older threads.

Rules:

• Please avoid downvoting recommendations just because you don't personally like the recommended material; remember that liking is a two-place word. If you can point out a specific flaw in a person's recommendation, consider posting a comment to that effect.
  • If you want to post something that (you know) has been recommended before, but have another recommendation to add, please link to the original, so that the reader has both recommendations.
  • Please post only under one of the already created subthreads, and never directly under the parent media thread.
  • Use the "Other Media" thread if you believe the piece of media you want to discuss doesn't fit under any of the established categories.
  • Use the "Meta" thread if you want to discuss about the monthly media thread itself (e.g. to propose adding/removing/splitting/merging subthreads, or to discuss the type of content properly belonging to each subthread) or for any other question or issue you may have about the thread or the rules.
New Comment
30 comments, sorted by Click to highlight new comments since: Today at 12:48 AM

Short Online Texts Thread

Potential Risks from Advanced Artificial Intelligence: The Philanthropic Opportunity by Holden Karnofsky. Somehow missed this when it was posted in May.

Compare, for example, Thoughts on the Singularity Institute (SI) one of the most highly upvoted posts ever on LessWrong.

Edit: See also Some Key Ways in Which I've Changed My Mind Over the Last Several Years

Everything is heritable:

Politics/religion:

AI:

Statistics/meta-science:

Psychology/biology:

Technology:

Economics:

Philosophy:

Fiction:

Misc:

"Grade inflation: why weren't the instructors all giving all A's already?" As a prof myself I think the obvious answer is that this would take away almost all of the power we have over our students. People like power.

A Quantum of Consciousness

Broadly speaking, suggestions about the mechanisms that might cause consciousness can be grouped into three: (i) the vital spark of life, (ii) an emergent property from basic control functions of the central nervous system and (iii) a special relationship between spooky quantum interactions and life.

But repeated experiments have shown that electron transfer in photosynthesis has an efficiency greater than ninety-nine percent, probably because of superposition and electron tunnelling.

And evidence is gathering that many enzymes may use spookiness for electron transfer. Enzymes are the classic controlling agents for the body’s biochemistry: the hierarchy is that DNA makes RNA makes enzymes, which then go on to regulate everything else. Many other biological systems are currently being investigated for quantum influences such as vision, olfaction, magnetoreception (detecting magnetic fields) and Brownian motors (typically nano-scale engines in a cell that convert chemical into mechanical energy)."

"Maybe, just maybe, consciousness is an emergent property of the positive and negative feedbacks between quantum mechanics effects at the level of single ions and an overarching electromagnetic field around the brain."

"To conclude we have no evidence that consciousness and self-awareness are caused by the number of links in a digital system."

http://www.baen.com/quantum_consciousness

Online Videos Thread

Im reading "Collapse" by J. Diamond now, so this caught my eye..

Collapse of Complex Societies by Dr. Joseph Tainter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0R09YzyuCI

EDIT: Perhaps I should say why this is relevant. Xrisk isn't just things which could destroy humanity outright, but also things from which we never recover. I'm also interested in building robust institutions which can survive unexpected circumstances, and have positive impact over centuries to influence the far future. (Nobel Prize Foundaton, DARPA's 100 year Starship, Long Now Foundation, etc.) Perhaps cryonicists will also find it interesting.

There was a recent TED talk on what makes systems robust in changing environments.

He starts with the example of the immune system, then mentions long-lived social systems (catholic church, roman empire), but goes on to focus mainly on applications to businesses that want to survive black swan events and industry disruption.

This flows somewhat counter to conventional wisdom, which says to optimize for growth by putting all your eggs into whichever basket has the largest growth rate or market.

He lists 6 characteristic that all these robust, long-lived systems have in common: Redundancy, Diversity, Modularity, Adaptation, Prudence, and Embeddedness.

Fanfiction Thread

Nonfiction Books Thread

How to Live a Life with More Positive Than Negative Feelings? A Review of Menelaos Apostolou, Feeling Good: An Evolutionary Perspective on Life Choices

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40806-016-0069-1/fulltext.html?view=classic

"After focusing on reproductive success (chapters 5 to 8), the book turns to discussions of success in survival (chapters 9 to 12). In the ninth chapter, Apostolou clarifies the definition of competition and who could be the potential competitors in a social context. Thus, he argues that each person should increase the comparative advantage over others and instead of wasting limited resources in doing things that we are not good at, it would be better to direct the resources to things that we are good at doing."

Just adding this to my booklist, by Carlo Rovelli, the LQG guy.

The First Scientist: Anaximander and His Legacy

https://www.amazon.com/Anaximander-Carlo-Rovelli/dp/159416262X/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

A history of philosophy and science.

"Most of the book is on the history and philosophy of science as well as the nature and evolution of religious thought. In fact, the book's main theme is how scientific thinking was liberated from mythic-religious thinking. This is centered on Anaximander since it is believed that he played a key role in this revolution, having lived in the appropriate period."

And an interview

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/the-philosophy-of-guessing-has-harmed-physics-expert-says/

One of his more amusing papers on Loop Quantum Gravity, is about building a framework of the universe without time.

"Following a line of research that I have developed for several years, I argue that the best strategy for understanding quantum gravity is to build a picture of the physical world where the notion of time plays no role. I summarize here this point of view, explaining why I think that in a fundamental description of nature we must "forget time", and how this can be done in the classical and in the quantum theory. The idea is to develop a formalism that treats dependent and independent variables on the same footing. In short, I propose to interpret mechanics as a theory of relations between variables, rather than the theory of the evolution of variables in time. "

http://arxiv.org/abs/0903.3832

Fiction Books Thread

Scott Bakker published the latest book in his 2nd Apocalypse series. The Great Ordeal. It's pretty awesome.

The series is 6 books in. The basic premise is that there is a secret monastery where people train to try and become fully aware of themselves, in the sense that they understand why/how they do everything. Mental martial artists, if that makes any sense, ultimate goal is to become "self moving souls", and escape the tyranny of cause and effect. Our protag has to leave the monastery and go out into the world, which is a typical fantasy bronze age hellhole.

Podcasts Thread

I interviewed Zoltan Istvan (Transhumanist party Presidential candidate), Greg Cochran (expert on genetics and intelligence), and Phil Torres (founder of the XrisksInstitute) on my future strategist podcast. The Cochran interview has 4,266 listens. I had my best podcast moment when I observed my 11-year-old son texting his best friend saying that his dad interviewed a presidential candidate.

Other Media Thread

The growing problem of Internet “link rot” and best practices for media and online publishers"

http://journalistsresource.org/studies/society/internet/website-linking-best-practices-media-online-publishers

and

http://www.seospike.com/broken-links-finder

might be relevant for folks with their own websites...

TV and Movies (Animation) Thread

• The Wind Rises
  • The Dog of Flanders (a classic anime children's movie; aside from the unusual Belgian setting, not too much to recommend it for adults - cardboard characters and almost excruciatingly slow, with a few missteps like failing to establish chronology so the main character's eviction 'by Christmas' comes as a total surprise because the viewer still thinks it's autumn)

You didn't link to your MAL review for Wind Rises!

I haven't written one. I am still musing over it and The Princess Kaguya, and plan to rewatch them.

[-][anonymous]8y00

TV and Movies (Live Action) Thread

• Marty (1955) (while extraordinarily lauded at the time, and one of the first American films to be officially shown in the USSR post-WWII, I had never heard of Marty. It is a surprisingly sympathetic portrait of an archetype which usually is excoriated and made the butt of all jokes in movies, the omega male - a socially awkward and unmarried loser. It also gives a strong sense of time, location, and community in making the main characters 1950s Italian-Americans in NYC's The Bronx. The plot is simplicity: the awkward Marty is repeatedly hectored into socializing until by chance he encounters a shy woman who he gets along with, only for his friends & family to reconsider how Marty's success would harm them, and Marty overcomes their opposition and his own fears to continue the relationship. The point is more to watch Ernest Borgnine and Betsy Blair act their way through it in an enjoyable fashion, although I think much of the humor is too dated to amuse now.)

Games Thread

Music Thread