This is the monthly thread for posting media of various types that you've found that you enjoy. Post what you're reading, listening to, watching, and your opinion of it. Post recommendations to blogs. Post whatever media you feel like discussing! To see previous recommendations, check out the older threads.

Rules:

• Please avoid downvoting recommendations just because you don't personally like the recommended material; remember that liking is a two-place word. If you can point out a specific flaw in a person's recommendation, consider posting a comment to that effect.
  • If you want to post something that (you know) has been recommended before, but have another recommendation to add, please link to the original, so that the reader has both recommendations.
  • Please post only under one of the already created subthreads, and never directly under the parent media thread.
  • Use the "Other Media" thread if you believe the piece of media you want to discuss doesn't fit under any of the established categories.
  • Use the "Meta" thread if you want to discuss about the monthly media thread itself (e.g. to propose adding/removing/splitting/merging subthreads, or to discuss the type of content properly belonging to each subthread) or for any other question or issue you may have about the thread or the rules.
New Comment
20 comments, sorted by Click to highlight new comments since: Today at 10:25 PM

Short Online Texts Thread

Everything is heritable:

Politics/religion:

AI:

Statistics/meta-science/mathematics:

Psychology/biology:

Technology:

Economics:

Philosophy:

Fiction:

[-][anonymous]8y10

"The Perfect Food and the Filth Disease: Milk-borne Typhoid and Epidemiological Practice in Late Victorian Britain" J. S. Williams. Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences Vol. 65, No. 4 (OCTOBER 2010), pp. 514-545. If anyone's interested but cannot access the article, PM me and I will send you a copy (made by print-screening the pages from 'net and assembling the images into a .doc file).

A verbose, but on the whole interesting read on an uphill battle fought in 1860-s - 1890-s to have adulterated milk recognized as public health risk. Includes a "subplot" which would make a wonderful period-drama detective story (the typhoid outbreak in London, 1873).

Online Videos Thread

Fanfiction Thread

Nonfiction Books Thread

Fiction Books Thread

[-][anonymous]8y00

The ballads of Marko Kraljevic, especially "Marko's Ploughing" (p. 158). I liked it better in Russian translation (smoother meter), but this one is OK, too.

Why: a long and detailed legend of a lesser mediaeval king, in brutal, brief, and wondrous songs

TV and Movies (Live Action) Thread

I saw the 2015 remake of Death Note, and I was so disappointed. :(

The goal of the remake was probably to make the conflict of two highly intelligent opponents more accessible to an audience of normies. Not a bad idea per se; I actually liked some of the changes.

The problem is that while making the changes, they introduced a few obvious logical errors, probably as a side effect of trying to make some scenes more dramatic. Which matters a lot in a story based on the premise that two highly intelligent opponents are fighting by exploiting each other's smallest mistakes; and then something completely stupid happens and no one notices, most likely because the author of the remake didn't notice it.

I'll try to avoid being unnecessarily specific; but here is the general pattern: In the story universe, it is possible to cast magical spells on other people. If certain preconditions are met, the magic makes people follow a script specified by the caster. If the preconditions are not met, nothing happens. (There is no such thing as partially meeting the preconditions; it's either yes or no.)

However, at least twice in the series the following happens: The mage casts the spell with a sequence of unlikely actions on someone. The victim does the unlikely action A, then does the unlikely action B, and then... as a big surprise... at last moment it turns out they don't do the remaining unlikely action C! How is that possible? Turns out someone else outsmarted the mage and made some of the preconditions fail, so the magic spell didn't work.

I guess at this moment the audience is supposed to cheer for the smart opponent, but I am left scratching my head: so, if the preconditions of the spell were not met, how was it possible in the first place that the victim did the unlikely actions A and B? The magic spell was cast in privacy; the victim had no chance to know the values of A, B, C. The victim didn't expect the spell to be cast; in one case the victim's unusual behavior was a new information for the opponent. It wasn't a coincidence; in one case the victim went to a specified abandoned place and pretended to be dead.

I generally don't mind something slightly illogical here and then, if the plot requires it. But in this specific case, it ruined the essence of the story. After this, "intelligent opponents cleverly gaining information by exploiting each other's small mistakes" became merely an applause light without substance.

Music Thread

Podcasts Thread

Other Media Thread

Meta Thread