Winter is coming. 

And with it, for the sixth year, rationality-community-folk will be gathering to stare into the abyssal oncoming darkness together. We'll sing songs both silly, sad and beautiful. We'll reflect on our past and future and the fulcrum of history upon which we now stand. 

[Note: after some discussion, it was concluded that Solstice is fine to link on Less Wrong branded places, but try not to post about it in forums for other movements or organizations]

There are (roughly) two sorts of Solstice celebrations - small gatherings for 10-50 people, and larger gatherings (once you hit a certain threshold the event qualitatively changes, feeling a bit less intimate but grand and powerful in other ways). This post is a coordination thread to help people interested in participating (or creating!) either of those types of events.

If you're interested in coming to a Solstice, it'd be *super* helpful to the organizer if you RSVP as soon as you can and get tickets if relevant - otherwise there's a lot of ambiguity about how big a space to get, and the organizer may end up on the hook for $1000s of dollars.

You can find an up-to-date list of Solstices that I know about on www.secularsolstice.com. The rationality-community flavored Solstices have the following facebook events:

Cambridge, UK – December 3rd

Boston, MA – December 10th

Seattle, WA – December 10th

Berkeley, CA – December 17th (tickets on Eventbrite)

New York City, NY – December 17th (tickets on Eventbrite)

New Comment
6 comments, sorted by Click to highlight new comments since: Today at 12:40 AM

The Berkeley links are both broken. The first goes to a nonexistent facebook page. The second goes to the Eventbrite for the New York event.

I think the Berkeley FB event was accidentally set to "private" (and if you accidentally make a private FB event you can't change it later), but I updated their eventbrite.

Aha, thanks. I don't suppose you could talk them into making a new FB event.

The problem is that once you've got 100 people signed up, creating a new event is very awkward and troublesome (you have to get all those people to switch events)

However, you can still definitely can a ticket on Eventbrite, which I think has all the information on it.

Do you know what scope the event is private to? If it's posted in some kind of rationalist FB group, then clearly this is a sign that I should go join that group, if I could figure out what it was. :-)

But if it's private to friends of the person who created it, I think it would be shortsighted and insular to leave it that way. :-\

Send me a PM with your FB name and I'll add you.

All events are private by default, which just means you need to be invited by someone at the event. (You have go out of your way to set it to public, and once it gets going it's hard to create a new event, move everyone over to it and then delete the old one)