Less Wrong is a community blog devoted to refining the art of human rationality. Please visit our About page for more information.

bogus comments on Open thread, Mar. 20 - Mar. 26, 2017 - Less Wrong Discussion

3 Post author: MrMind 20 March 2017 08:01AM

You are viewing a comment permalink. View the original post to see all comments and the full post content.

Comments (208)

You are viewing a single comment's thread. Show more comments above.

Comment author: moridinamael 20 March 2017 03:55:33PM *  1 point [-]

I try not to assume that I am smarter than everybody if I can help it, and when there's a clear cluster of really smart people making these noises, I at least want to investigate and see whether I'm mistaken in my presuppositions.

To me, "democratize AI" makes as much sense as "democratize smallpox", but it would be good to find out that I'm wrong.

Comment author: bogus 20 March 2017 06:26:02PM *  0 points [-]

To me, "democratize AI" makes as much sense as "democratize smallpox", but it would be good to find out that I'm wrong.

Isn't "democratizing smallpox" a fairly widespread practice, starting from the 18th century or so - and one with rather large utility benefits, all things considered? (Or are you laboring under the misapprehension that the kinds of 'AIs' being developed by Google or Facebook are actually dangerous? Because that's quite ridiculous, TBH. It's the sort of thing for which EY and Less Wrong get a bad name in machine-learning- [popularly known as 'AI'] circles.)

Comment author: moridinamael 20 March 2017 09:30:57PM 1 point [-]

Not under any usual definition of "democratize". Making smallpox accessible to everyone is no one's objective. I wouldn't refer to making smallpox available to highly specialized and vetted labs as "democratizing" it.

Google and/or Deepmind explicitly intend on building exactly the type of AI that I would consider dangerous, regardless of whether or not you would consider them to have already done so.